Certificate Release Bug?

Backend functionalities: user management, course management, reports, certificates, etc.
Mitchellsm

Certificate Release Bug?

Post by Mitchellsm »

Hello everyone,

So I have been using Forma 3.1 for a while now and I think I have come across a bug with the certificate release system on the admin side. Certificate release works as expected if a student has completed the course and generates the certificate on their own when "user release" is enabled.

However, when an admin goes into the backend e-learning->courses->courses and tries to release certificates in bulk for a specific course it will show all of the students registered for the course, regardless of their status/progress. It should only show those that have completed the course. I have the course certificate set up with the "Assign for users that have completed the course" option and still when I attempt to generate/release the certificates all of the students registered in the course show up in the table.

I didn't encounter this issue using version 2.3 or 3.0 in the past, so I am assuming that this is not the intended functionality. Is anyone else having this problem? Anyone have a potential fix for it?
alfa24
Senior Boarder

Re: Certificate Release Bug?

Post by alfa24 »

Yes, it's a bug as you're describing it.
Per supporto GRATUITO contattatemi in privato qui
Mitchellsm

Post by Mitchellsm »

alfa24 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:22 pm Yes, it's a bug as you're describing it.
Well thanks for the confirmation. Before I go and spend a day debugging, any idea what file I might find that function in? I could probably write a patch if I knew where to start looking.
max
FormaLms Guru
Version: forma.lms 2.4

Post by max »

Hi Mitchell,

I understand what you're referring to, but I think it is by design that all the students are displayed in the table.

You can still filter all the users that have completed the course (there's a lot of search options that allow you to do that) and generate those certificates only.

To the end user, the certificate will only be released if he satisfied the conditions: in your case, the course completion.

But it might make sense that an admin is able to generate a document regardless, for example for testing purposes or other reasons.
---------------------
Massimiliano Ferrari
Elearnit - Elearning e Knowledge Management
https://www.elearnit.net
https://www.linkedin.com/in/massimilianoferrari
m.ferrari[at]elearnit.net
alfa24
Senior Boarder

Post by alfa24 »

It's a bug. If a certificate/course relation is under completion condition, it should be offering the right candidates only.
Per supporto GRATUITO contattatemi in privato qui
Mitchellsm

Post by Mitchellsm »

Hey Max,

I do see what your saying and maybe this functionality works for most peoples business operations when it comes to testing purposes.

I just find it strange that in past versions this wasn't an issue. I do think it is a bug though because if you generate a certificate (from the admin area) for one of the students who has not completed the course they still get the notification and option to download the certificate on their dashboard page, despite the course certificate set up with the "Assign for users that have completed the course" option. Perhaps the function responsible for automatically filtering the students course status in the certificate release page is accepting any of the possible states or the "Assign for users that have completed the course" variable is not being set or called correctly. I'm just grasping at straws here.
max
FormaLms Guru
Version: forma.lms 2.4

Post by max »

Hi,

I checked and I confirm, it's by design.

Users of course can only see a certificate in the front end if they satisfy the criteria (i.e. completion), while admins are supposed to be able to genereate them from the backend regardless.
---------------------
Massimiliano Ferrari
Elearnit - Elearning e Knowledge Management
https://www.elearnit.net
https://www.linkedin.com/in/massimilianoferrari
m.ferrari[at]elearnit.net